> The downside is that the more commercial distributions have less incentive
> to make the administration task easier. Their packages are harder to install
> and configure; but so what? Someone's paying them to do things a particular
> way. The 'laziness' of volunteers breeds a desire to distribute and automate
> as much as possible; which benefits the end user by making packages more
> widely available (many distributed update servers, instead of a few
> centralized ones) and easier to install (.debs offer the option of
> configuration at install time, rather than being explicitly non-interactive
> like RPMs which can and will break things quietly in the background).

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Slackware is exempt from this, and this is a big reason I only use Slackware on my production boxes.  If a package is not available, it's as easy as 1-2-3 to roll your own from source. No biggie.

B-o-B

GlobeRunners, Inc.
IT Manager
600 Inwood Ave. N., Suite 160  |  Oakdale, MN 55128  |  Direct (651) 925-1500  |  Cell: (612) 850-6940  |  Fax: (651) 925-1560  |  Email: bob at grunners.com