That's very interesting. How did you learn this?

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of James
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:42 AM
To: Donovan
Cc: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Anyone with openfiler experience

After much research I finally found that OpenFiler only configures USB
devices at a 1.1 level and not 2.0 which is why the throughput is so low. If
I want to use USB drives I'll have to setup a standard Linux system and
share out the drives on it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Donovan <dniesen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:58 PM, James <jucziz6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Over the years I have purchase a couple of the low cost USB NAS
>> solutions that Linksys has come out with. These units use an ARM
>> processor and a mini linux kernel. For the most part they work but,
>> they are slow and if  I try to un-tar a file on the unit back to
>> itself it will lock up. I thought I'd move the drives to OpenFiler
>> and away from the ARM processor. I setup OpenFiler, configured it
>> with a multiport USB card and connected a new drive to it. Then I
>> started moving files to it, the performance was below the charts. The
>> ARM units were typically twice as fast as OpenFiler. The OpenFiler
>> system was practically idle from what I could see in top, accessing the
drive from the system had some issues as well.