Scott Raun wrote:
> I'm investigating upgrading my DSL to something faster than what I've
> had for the last 10+ years.  My service is so old that I'm still using
> a Cisco 675. :-)
>
> I need a memory refresh - the 675 does CAP right?  I've been told that
> any change in service is going to require me to go to a different
> standard - DMT?  Anyone have a spare DMT device they don't need any
> more?  Anyone have recommendations (for or against!) any specific DMT
> devices?

  The 675 did CAP-only, correct.  The 678 could do CAP or DMT (dependent
on firmware only, IIRC).  The Actiontec GT701, which normally an
atrocious option (easily the worst Linux implementation I've had the
displeasure of investigating), can be upgraded to "alternative" firmware
like OpenWRT.  Someone in this group (who may or may not wish to be
identified) actually has almost completely native IPv6 from his ISP
(IPhouse) using such a setup.  I unfortunately never had a chance to
experiment with it, although I have a pair of supposedly capable devices
I might be willing to part with (as well as a 678, actually). :-)
  I won't dismiss Eric's suggestion, however; my work switched to
Comcast Business for their Internet access, to decent savings, along
with a remarkable boost in speed (7/1mbit -> 22/5mbit).  The only
downside is the largest block of statics they'll allocate seems to be a
/28.  (*cry, cry*)  Qwest offers larger, but now that they fixed their
mis-billing, it'll cost you an arm and a leg.
  Keep us posted on what you end up doing!

      Jima