Assuming Qwest, yes you will likely need to get a DMT capable device and the 675 is not one of them. The 678 can do either though it requires different firmware to switch between CAP and DMT. I can get you either firmware. The standard Qwest DSL router is either an ActionTec or a 2Wire brand. IMO they are all roughly the same except some may have built in wifi or more/less switch ports. Some of the first generation ActionTec ones would crash on port scanning from the internet but I doubt you could even get any of those except maybe from eBay.
If you want to be able to link 2 DSL circuits together you are going to need something much higher end like a Cisco 1800 series (probably more money than what you'd be willing to pay). Otherwise might as well as get something like a MOE circuit and then you just get ethernet hand off but it would be a much higher monthly.

------Original Message------
From: Scott Raun
Sender: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: [tclug-list] DSL devices
Sent: Apr 25, 2009 7:21 PM

I'm investigating upgrading my DSL to something faster than what I've
had for the last 10+ years.  My service is so old that I'm still using
a Cisco 675. :-)

I need a memory refresh - the 675 does CAP right?  I've been told that
any change in service is going to require me to go to a different
standard - DMT?  Anyone have a spare DMT device they don't need any
more?  Anyone have recommendations (for or against!) any specific DMT
devices?

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org