I was using the Ubuntu Jaunty Alpha's, and they were better and more stable
than Intrepid.  It's a good upgrade from Intrepid.

However, just before the beta, the last alpha I believe, an update rendered
the computer non-bootable.  I tried booting from the CD, then chroot to the
partition.  I told dpkg to finish whatever it was doing - no change.  I suspect
an apt-get upgrade might fix it, but that would require more than a chroot to
get network access and all the config files mounted.

Is it worthwhile to use the CD, go to init 1, chroot, then go to init 3, and
try run apt?  Will that get the network running in the chroot jail?

Or, would it be faster to backup our home directories (less than 1GB) and
resinstall?  I'm leaning towards that solution, since this machine needs to be
running.

Jeremy
Yes, I know, it said not to use alphas with a production box...