What you did was replace init with a shell.  That means all the things
init normally does, you have to do.  That includes mounting filesystems
rw to get going, and then ro when done.  It also means shutdown wont
work.  Just unmount all partitions you can, and remount ro / , then kill
the power.  Its not clean, but it should work.

If you didnt remount it ro, your filesystem changes may have only been
in memory when you rebooted, thus not saved. Its important to always
unmount your filesystems cleanly, or you may suffer corruption or other
oddness.

Jay