I've tried various consumer level wireless bridges and my opinion is they
all suck. If you do find a good one let me know.

I've had much better luck with devices runing OpenWRT and/or Tomato. I tried
DD-WRT as well, but things would just stop working without a daily router
reboot. Installed Tomato on the same hardware, issue went poof. I haven't
looked back.

For sharing broadband, I don't see any reason why a wireless bridge wouldn't
work unless you live in an apartment where the spectrum is extremely
crowded. Don't stay on Channel 6. You'll hit the bandwidth limitations of
your cable modem before you hit the bandwidth limits of 802.11G. Just plug
the bridge into your existing switch and you're on the Internet.

I've heard (word of mouth) that some devices (Linksys WRT54GL) can't process
things quickly enough to fully utilize a fast broadband connection. It's not
something I've run into or seen anything solid on though. If you do run into
it, the same word of mouth sources report that Apple's AirPort Extreme can
deal with it just fine. And an AirPort Express will operate in bridge mode
so you can get your gear from the same vendor.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com