Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 16:12:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] FTP Server
To: TCLUG <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Thomas Rieff wrote:

> What would be available to use as a FTP server that would be
user &
> password protected. We sometimes have files that are to large
to email
> and need to post them on the web for a select individual. Any
> thoughts???

It depends on the amount of security you are after.  The lowest
level is
to use ordinary http with .htaccess files to force users to
enter
passwords.  I do that a lot.  It isn't "secure" in the usual
sense but it
keeps most people out, it is easy and it might be all you need.
If you
want better security, you need to use https and good passwords.
FTP is
inherently insecure because passwords are transmitted as plain
text that
can be read by anyone snooping on the network (the same is true
for http
which is why https is more secure -- encrypted for security).

Mike