On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, markdeb.browne at comcast.net wrote:

> If you are trying to beef up your postscript chops you might finds some
> useful tips here:
> http://www.tinaja.com/post01.asp
>
> This is the stomping grounds for Don Lancaster.
>
> Fair warning - it is easy to blow DAYS poking around this site - he has
> a bunches of interesting stuff.

It looked like fun, and I found a few good-old wiz-bang items from the
'80s, but it didn't see the sort of basic info I needed.  But then I found
this:

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/postscript/

Then I figured out that I can insert this somewhere near the top of the
file....

newpath
2 312 moveto
12 312 lineto
600 312 moveto
610 312 lineto
0.25 setlinewidth
stroke

....and I get the little "fold here" lines I was looking for.  The full
postscript file looks like this:

----------begin foo.ps on next line------------------
%!
%% Example 1

newpath
2 312 moveto
12 312 lineto
600 312 moveto
610 312 lineto
0.25 setlinewidth
stroke
showpage
----------end foo.ps on previous line----------------

This works assuming US Letter, Portrait (216 x 279 mm).  The x-y
coordinates place (0, 0) on the lower left and then work in the usual way
with 1/72 inches per unit (so y=312 means 4.333 inches up from the bottom
of the page -- these envelopes are 4.5" wide, which is a little wider than
ordinary business size).

Mike