> I'm interested in building my own router/firewall box. Do any of you
> know of a good tutorial or resources?

That depends.  Are you looking to build a firewall/router from scratch
for learning purposes, or are you looking for an easy throw in disk,
wait 12 minutes, reboot & you have a firewall solution?

If you are looking to learn, then grab your favorite distro & do a
google search (ie: Slackware firewall, or what ever) and you will find
what you seek.  Or simply search Linux firewall, and you will be busy
for awhile.

If you are looking for an all in one situation, then I would recommend
checking out

www.smoothwall.org

www.ipcop.org

www.freesco.org

I have been running smoothwall at my home for about 7 or 8 years, and I
like it a lot.  It supports 4 NIC's to separate your internet, dmz, LAN,
and wireless (if you want to be paranoid about it like me).  For home it
rocks.  I have even used it to connect three offices at work via vpn in
the pastas well.  This setup was kicked to the curb one day when a
handful of Cisco PIX 501's fell into my lap however.  I have been
running Smoothwall on a Pent Pro 200 w/ 128Megs of ram with out
problems.  Runs nice, and has a web gui config if you like that kinda
stuff. I would recommend this one.

IPCop is good too.  This project started as a fork from Smoothwall
several years back.  Not sure why anymore, but a couple friends of mine
use it and have nothing but kind things to say about it.

If all you can dig up is a 100Mhz processor or less check out fresco.
This is a nice & easy solution that can run on hardware picked up in the
back alley somewhere.

There are more, but I have never tried them so I cannot say.

> Additionally, would it be too much to include a media server in such a

> box?

Abort mission on this.  Although what you propose is possible, it kinda
defeats the purpose of the firewall.  Keep the media server separate,
and safely behind the firwall.

Good Hunting!

Bob De Mars
IT Manager