From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Nick Scholtes
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:12 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Re-building Apps from Source

Okay, well, setting noob aside. What would it take to get Lightwave for
Windows code running stably on Linux? I understand that this isn't going to
happen anytime soon. But if you say, "you need to know C programming, and
such and such," then I can start studying what I need, and I have a goal in
mind. (A goal I've had to some years and now have some direction on how to
achieve it.) To be able to run all my apps on a Linux 64bit system, and not
have to deal with Windows at all anymore would be a dream! Die, evil bastard
OS monster! Die!

*Sniff* Haven't you ever had a dream? A dream so big you just couldn't
contain it? Well, you must believe, my son! You must believe!
/cheesy-whatever the hell that was  ; )

C'mon! Throw me a bone!
Nick

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:23:28PM -0500, Nick Scholtes wrote:
> Can't remember exactly. It was a couple years ago. I read it a few times
> when researching Linux. Is this a myth? Is it possible to do?

If you are a n00b, then rebuilding from source should not concern you.
It's right up there with rebuilding the engine and transmission of a
car.

"Closed source" means exactly that, that you don't have access to the
source, outside of the owners of the software.

And lastly, there does not appear to be a version of Lightwave for
Linux.  Getting the Windows/MacOS code to run on Linux is equivalent
to moving the transmission and engine between two different kind of
vehicles.  To stop milking of the car analogy, you can think of
submarines and fighter jets.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
     http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163