On Sep 30, 2008, at 8:13 PM, Nick Scholtes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do you re-build apps from source? I have heard that any software
> can run perfectly on Linux if you re-build it. How do I do this?
> Especially if it is closed-source software. I would like to re-build
> Lightwave 3D to run on Linux. (Actually, I have a number of graphics
> applications I use that I would like to re-build on Linux.)
>
> I have used Linux a lot, but am still very much a noob when it comes
> to the CLI and code. If someone could walk me through this (as in,
> baby steps) I would really appreciate it. I'll worship the open-
> source ground you walk on! ; )

Many applications can be built natively on Linux with little, or no,
modification.  In most cases, there is no reason to 'rebuild' an
application.  Packaged binaries generally make use of needed features
within the kernel and system.  Most people do not need to rebuild a
program from source.

This is a deep hole... Don't dive in until you *need* to, and are ready.
---
Eric Crist