On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Isaac Atilano wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:38:15 -0500 (CDT), "Mike Miller" <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> said:
>
>> easily be wrong though.  Also, I wouldn't take the word "evil" too
>> seriously because it is often used as a loose shorthand for "something
>> that isn't good for us."
>
> RMS is definitely not known for using words loosely. Case in point:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html

Sure, that's basically a legal document.  But "evil" -- he doesn't define
that word on that page.

>> I think he has found that taking an extreme position is necessary for
>> him if he's going to make progress in getting people to be like you and
>> me.
>
> I disagree with that opinion. I think extremism turns people off.

I know what you mean and I agree with your idea, but the "extreme
position" has two aspects.  One is his personal conduct -- he will not use
any proprietary software and he seems to get by just fine -- that might be
working for him.  The other is his public statements.  Yes, both of these
can turn people off, but he also needs to attract attention to what he is
doing and I think it is working for him in that way.  Some people will see
what he is doing and will say "not for me!" but they would also not be
converts if they had never heard of his "free software" ideas.

Mike