On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, J Cruit wrote:

>> His idea is not that FreBSD "contains non-free software" (what you
>> wrote) it's much more pedantic than that -- it's that FreeBSD's "ports
>> system does suggest non-free programs."
>>
>> Apparently, the FreeBSD supporters make a big issue of it, but really
>> all Stallman is doing is saying that he doesn't recommend FreeBSD for
>> that reason.  If they want him to recommend it, they'll have to change
>> it. It's not that he is doing something wrong.  His thing is to promote
>> free software, and he can do that better by not recommending FreeBSD.
>> He isn't attacking FreeBSD, he's just not recommending it.
>>
>> Mike
>
> So he wants FreeBSD to restrict and close off the system to limit what
> people can do with it?  Umm.. what?
>
> I guess that is perhaps the difference between free and open?

He wants the FreeBSD ports system to suggest only free software programs
and never to suggest a proprietary program.  That makes sense to me.  My
understanding is that Stallman's approach would not prevent a FreeBSD user
from downloading and installing a proprietary program.  Apparently it now
lists options for users who are thinking of installing something and it
lists both proprietary and FOSS programs.

Mike