Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu (as a dual boot system) and for the most part, I love it.  I am having some problems with getting some hardware to work though.

When I start XSane with no scanner attached I get the (expected) message "No Device Available".  After plugging the (Microtek ScanMaker 4800) scanner in (to the USB port) and running XSane, I get the error message "Failed to open device "sm3840 libusb:001:004": Access to resource has been denied."  Sooooo, it's recognizing the scanner (sm3840 is the correct backend according to the sane website).  What is wrong, and how does this newbie fix it?

Next I work on my SiS audio card. I need to learn how to set it so that I can use 4 speakers (the "audio in" needs to be switched to "speakers out").

Does anyone know anything about the Pinnacle AV/DV card?

Why don't more hardware manufacturers provide drivers and support for Linux?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bob