On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:43 AM, John Meier <john.meier at gmail.com> wrote:

> TestDisk did the trick - what a great tool!  It rebuilt the GPT partition and I was able to access the 240Gb data that was on the drive.

Glad to hear of your success.  Normally I wouldn't post NTFS stuff to
the list, but as luck would have it the timing is perfect.

A freind of my gave me her laptop drive last week. Usual story, "it
won't read, I don't have backups, I asked the IT people at college",
etc.  So, out of morbid curiosity, I plugged it into a spare Windows
system and fired up Ontrack Easyrecovery Pro.  As luck would have it,
ERPro saw the NTFS partition, gave me a complete list of files, and I
was off and running with the recovery. SWEET.  2 days later, the
recovery process was continuing, albeit slowly.  Est time to
completion was 300 hours, but hey, this is a spare system.  No
problem.  Files were coming to life one by one, excellent.

Then I lost power in the thunderstorm the other day.  When I brought
everything back up, Easyrecovery no longer saw the partion table.
Windows wouldn't see the disk in device manager.  Fired up linux, all
I see in /var/log/messages was SCSI sense errors for the disk in
question.  Can't fdisk it, can't cat it, and forget testdisk seeing
it.

Tried the freezer trick, no change. Same reslts with the SCSI sense
errors.  Windows is, well, still Windows.

I think the power outage was the end of my luck, any other suggestions
before I drop the disk in the trash?

Thanks,
Brian