Yep, it looks pretty grim. The IDE cable to my music drive had a frayed end,
and now this morning on boot, fsck said "no such file or directory when trying
to open /dev/sdd1. The superblock could not be read or does not describe a
correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is
corrupt and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>". Running fsck manually gives the same message.

Parted and fdisk no longer see sdd at all. It's just gone. I've tried swapping
it out and putting a different drive in there and it detects fine, and the bad
drive doesn't work no matter where I try it (in another machine and in a USB
enclosure) so I don't think it's the connection. I am at a total loss. Does
anyone have any advice in this situation? Everything I know about data
recovery I've learned in the last (completely fruitless) 12 hours, so I may
well be missing an obvious trick. God, I hope so.

-pete