I have a large number of files that live on offline media (data DVD),
and it's getting difficult to keep track of which dvd (out of 100+
disks currently) the file I want is on.

Does anyone have any suggestions for creating a searchable database
where I could enter a substring of a filename and have the database
return full filenames and the correct disk.

I know this situation has occurred before and been solved by others,
but I can't find any descriptions on how such a system would be
organized.

Anyone have any pointers for me?

Also FYI; this would be on a Debian system, and I may end up
inheriting 4 Imation DiscStakkas
<http://www.imation.com/products/disc_stakka/index.html> in the
not-to-distant future.  Right now the disks live in cd/dvd sleeves in
2-3 3-ring binders.

Thanks,
Mark