> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > It's for an existing site that exceeds the CPU/RAM usage of some
> of the
> > lower-priced basic offerings from AN Hosting or GoDaddy (the
> shared virtual
> > servers). Not a heavy hard drive or bandwidth site. Currently paying
> > $150/quarter, looking to lower that as much as possible, as this
> is for a
> > non-profit organization that is on half of a shoe-string budget as
> it is.
> >
> > Does it make sense to upgrade my internet connection and host it
> myself, or
> > go after a hosting company? Ideally I would like to administrate
> the server
> > as well and have it run Ubuntu or Debian, but I'm not hellbent on
> that.

Sorry I'm coming into this late.  If you're not experiencing huge
bandwidth requirements from any of the sites you're hosting, I'd
recommend DSL and hosting things at your own home, provided you have
space.  As you suggest this above, I'm guessing this isn't a problem.

For many, many, years, I've hosted my things on a server in my own
basement.  I've got DSL from ipHouse (iphouse.net), and very reliable
power in my neighborhood.  Comcast is even allowing webhosting on
their connections now, provided you go with the business-level
service.  With that, you can get blocks of IPs, the same as has been
the case with DSL for years.  Their upload speed ranges from 1 to 2
Mbps, whereas DSL caps out at ~800Kbps.  Qwest is offering a new
20Mbps fibre option, but I'm not sure about their terms on personal
web hosting.

If that doesn't work for you, I know of at least one person who uses
Colo Pronto (www.colopronto.com) without too much issue.  You ship
down your own 1u server, pay $25/mo and you get a 100Mb connection to
the world (shared, of course).  They make their money on service,
however.  Reboots, eyes and hands, etc.  I'd caution  you on them only
in regards to outgoing spam.  UCEPROTECT has them listed at various
levels on a fairly regular basis, a few times at level 3 (the entire
AS was blacklisted).

Now, when you run you servers at home, there is going to be the
occasional downtime.  No, or little, battery backup; no connection
redundancy; you're out of town on vacation and cannot reboot that
firewall you *had* to reconfigure from the beach.  Overall, I find
it's nice to have control of things.

---
Eric Crist