> Sure, I could use the money I put into the HSA, but that also defeated the
> purpose of having it IMO.  Because the money you deposited into the HSA was
> deductible as was the money you spent on medical expenses (so long as they
> met IRS requirements).

I'm not an accountant, but a little clarification might be useful.  Money
put into an HSA is not deductible from your taxes, it is completely tax
free.  It is not counted as earned income for tax purposes.  Money spent on
healthcare after it has been taxed as income is deductible, but only on a
percentage bases.

So even if you spend your entire HSA on your deductible, you still end up
ahead tax-wise because you paid no income tax on the money in your HSA.  If
you used non-HSA taxed income to pay your medical bills, you can deduct that
expense from your taxes, but only as an itemized deduction which reduces,
but does not eliminate the tax on that income.

That being said, I still hate HSA's because they are a pain to administer.

You know, if we cut out all the administrative costs of this spaghetti
system we call healthcare in the U.S., we could easily provide health
insurance for every living, breathing body in the U.S. for the same price we
currently spend to cover a fraction of our population.  Something to think
about with the election season upon us.