Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Quick question here:
>
> I have a user on an Ubuntu server who needs ftp access to a certain
> subdirectory of the web site. She's using Dreamweaver to modify some
> CSS and other html files there. I created a group with the appropriate
> write permission to the directory and made her a member of the group.
> Now she can see the directory, but any files that she puts there don't
> have the correct permissions.
>
> Is this a situation where the sticky bit needs to be set on the
> directory where I'm granting her access?
>
> I've never been able to wrap my head around umask either. Is that
> related in some way?

It depends on what you're getting. The umask isn't too hard, but I've
found that it's far to unreliable as different people set it different
ways. You can keep going down this path and what you probably want is this:
Set the umask with "umask 002" this makes newly created files rw by
user, rw by group and r by other. Then if you set the sticky bit on a
directory all newly created files in that directory will have the same
group as the directory.

Now what I usually do now is to use ACLs. If the filesystem has ACL
support, then I use setfacl and set the default permissions there and I
can guarantee what permissions I'm going to get.

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will
be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ
Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:38-39