I use them all the time. As for which sites to go to, it depends on the
issues you're interested in "voting" on, and what your persuasion is. I also
send a fair amount of emails and faxes to my elected officials through their
government sites or through other websites (such as Congress.org).
I have no idea if these sites use FOSS.

As far as if they work, I'm guessing you mean if they get results with
politicians. I'm pretty sure they do because a couple years ago Congress
tried to say they weren't going to accept comments from such sites. People
got upset, and I believe Congress backed off the issue.

Hope that helps,
Nick