Ok, if I had to build this application, I would build this as a single
page web application that is built using the Dojo Javascript Toolkit
with a single Ajax handler on the server written in PHP.  This can be
developed relatively quickly, made secure, and perform like a rock
star.  You don't need Gears.  Ajax allows for asynchronous calls and you
can cache stuff in the browser using Javascript, so it would slow you
down at all.  Preloading all of the images is a bad idea.  Preloading
the next image is a good idea.  There isn't a great way to zoom and pan
an image, but it can be done with some Javascript magic.

What I'm describing is a very elegant solution, however it's not for the
faint of heart.  Building single page applications is not easy.  It
takes a good developer with experience to do it right, delivery it in a
timely manner, design good usability, and make the app perform well.

-Chris