You're right that any web-based application is plagued by various latency
problems.   But, for whatever reason, Tom did say he wants a browser-based
solution.

One way to partly resolve this would be to run the app off of a beefed-up
local server on your own local subnet.  That would address some of the speed
and reliability issues that most web apps have -- all traffic would be local
rather than through the internet.

Google Gears is another attempt to address the inherent problems in web
apps, but I don't know if there are any good application development
frameworks out for it yet.

Maybe Tom could elaborate on why he wants his data-entry to be browser
based.