Forgive the off topic post. I was hoping that someone might have some
advice for me.

I've been handed a home brew data entry system written in VB6 that is
in need of replacement. Code is poorly commented and the guy who wrote
it can't be found. What I would LIKE to do is start from scratch and
write a nice browser based system using google gears or something like
that but I don't have time. I would think there would be a ton of
stuff available, open or otherwise, as we are not doing anything
unusual. But what I've found seems antiquated and expensive. I was
asked to evaluate some Viking Software stuff which has the features
that we need but, man, low tech, 8 character file names,  keyboard
overlays required, etc.

We process about 10,000 hand written forms a month entered from
scanned images on screen. Each form is entered twice by separate
people and compared  for accuracy. some fields are looked up in a
table  to auto populate other fields which can then be accepted or
edited. nothing to fancy. Has anyone here run across anything I should
be looking into?

--
Tom Penney