On Wednesday October 15 2008 13:45:53 Smith, Craig A wrote:
> I'm running Debian stable.  Everything is working fine but there's
> little free disk space remaining.  How can I migrate everything to a
> larger disk?  Ideally, this would include all programs, configuration
> files, user's data, crontab's, etc.  I want to avoid
> reinstalling/configuring all the running services.
>

> Would something like
>

>     #dd  if=/dev/hda  of=/dev/hdb
>

> work?  How would, could (should?) I use dd?   I assume I would first
> need to format the replacement drive with appropriate partitions (ext3
> and swap).  After the files are copied, I suppose I could rejumper the
> target drive to make it /hda or just edit it's /etc/fstab.
>

> What other tools might fit the task?
>

> -Craig

I just had to do this myself for the first time. Here's how I did it. Using dd
instead may be more efficient, but this worked without issue for me. These
instructions assume a one-partition setup and an already formatted drive.
Adjust to suit your needs.

0. Plug in the new drive.
1. Boot a live CD.
2. Mount /mnt/old and /mnt/new
3. cp -va /mnt/old /mnt/new
4. Change /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect the new location of /
5. grub-install /dev/hda
6. Boot your system, you're done.

-pete