I didn't want to talk you guys to death, but I thought I would throw
something in from left field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)
I grew up programming in many dead languages, Fortran, COBOL, Pascal,
Lisp, Prolog, Forth, blah, blah.
I. too, have used PERL well over 13 years, program in PHP and recently
been poking around with Python and wxPython.
(um, did I mention Tcl & Tk ? and jimmy cricket, lets not start talking
about vendor's specific scripting languages, shell script, etc.)
I pretty much agree with everything I saw, and would offer that you:
1) look for high level tutorials in Perl, Ruby, Python - get a taste so
you can program yourself into a corner real fast.
2) then take that knowledge and set it aside and look at something like LUA
After doing steps one and two, you will have a good sense of which
language matches your preferred programming style (and thinking).
(don't get caught up in the programming religious wars - you won't get
the holy grail that way).
=rich=
p.s. love the blog idea - i learn more and faster reading someone's
learning experiences
95% of the time, I am stuck with "I know what I want to do, what is the
silly syntax???"