On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 11:30:26AM -0500, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> In my current job, our non-opensource software is built on top of
> Tomcat.  For this reason, I have found, documented and fixed bugs in
> Tomcat and related software on company time, and released all of them
> back into Tomcat.  If Tomcat were under GPL, we wouldn't be using
> Tomcat.  Simple as that.

You most likely would, since you are insulated from the tomcat
implementation by the servlet/jsp/jsf/whatver interface specification.
It is the same idea with applications that run on the Linux kernel.
As long as they use the standard calls, no aggregation takes place and
you are not bound by the GPL.  Tomcat is a 'kernel' of sorts.

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163