I had a similar experience. I have been a fan of KDE for a very long time
and have my tweaks, shortcuts and tricks all documented meticulously for my
own use when I set up a new machine or start over or upgrade. And then one
day I upgraded from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9. KDE4 was a nightmare. I couldn't
find one thing that I liked about it over KDE3.5. Simple things like
changing the size of the icons or changing the size of the taskbar or even
locking/unlocking the taskbar screwed it up. I just couldn't stand it! I
promptly pulled out my Fedora 8 DVD and reinstalled it. I don't think I want
to upgrade to Fedora 9 nor do I want to use Gnome. Unfortunately, once
Fedora 10 comes out, there won't be any updates available for Fedora 8 and I
don't know what I will do then. :(
- Vee