I've had good experiences with Slicehost.  Their support department is
flexible and responsive.  Their tutorials online are awesome (useful even if
you are setting up your own ubuntu server elsewhere).  Console is available
through the web and works well.

I haven't seen any real changes yet after the buyout.  Although, their
management console was down last week (from my pc at least) for several
hours, but none of our servers (nor our clients) were affected, and I haven't
seen that before nor since.

I plan to stick with them for small projects.  Anything that needs clustering
I'll probably do on EC2.  You can do it on slicehost, but EC2 seems to have
more powerful tools in this area.

Jeremy