I thought this was interesting:  Man puts iPhone in model rocket.  Uses
accelerometers and GPS to track.

Unfortunately, the iPhone can't log data beyond 3G (pun intended).

  http://www.mobileorchard.com/the-iphone-rocket/

Years ago, I worked on inertial accelerometers for aviation, and I can say
that this appears slightly lower quality...  But what's interesting is that
many people will now be carrying iPhones and Androids, both of which allow
for easy deployment of software.  This is the first time that normal people
have carried 'general purpose' computers with internet access.

All sorts of wacky stuff is possible.

Has anyone made apps for Android (linux, java) yet?