From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Chris Barber
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 2:11 PM
To: Robert De Mars; tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] OT - Hardware Advice

What you would do is create a new logical array that included all 6 disks.
Then it asks what RAID level you want.  Almost every RAID controller I've
seen allows you to pick a valid RAID level for the number of drives you
selected.  In the case of 6 drives, you commonly should be able to do RAID
0, 1, 1+0, 5, 6.  If you don't see RAID 1+0 in the list, make sure your
controller can even do RAID 1+0.

Once you have a single large logical drive, go ahead and install the OS on
it and as I recommended in my previous email, allocate 2-4GB to swap area
and the rest to your OS and data files.  Some people like creating a
separate partition for data, and that's cool, but I've run into issues with
running out of disk space one of the partitions.  When you run out of space,
pretty much your only choice is to format and re-install.  I suppose you
could add more drives and expand the array, then figure out how to grow the
file system, but expanding a RAID array takes forever and a day.  And after
you've reinstalled your OS a couple times, fancy partitioning schemes can be
annoying to setup again.

-Chris

Robert De Mars wrote:

Chris Barber writes:

Nope, use all 6 disks in the RAID 1+0.  That way you get more
throughput.  I like things easy, so I would just create a root partition
that eats up almost all of the space, then a second small (2GB) swap
area.  That way you don't have to worry about running out of disk space
if you make a particular partition too small.

-Chris

Forgive me for asking so many questions, but I am still a virgin to RAID,
and this is going to be my first RAID setup.

OK, My new server is going to have 6 drives.  I am going to go with RAID10.

For the first part (raid 1), do I want to make two or three sets.
For Example, do I want to make drive 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 RAID 1, or can I do 1+2+3

& 4+5+6 as RAID 1.  What do you think is best.

Then for the second part (raid 0), I guess that depends on how the raid 1
was setup.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Robert De Mars

Robert De Mars wrote:

Chris Barber writes:

I use RAID 1+0 for database servers.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post.  I like the RAID 1+0 idea.

I was originally planning on running the OS, and database separate from each

other.  How should I proceed with the install.

Would it be best to run the OS as RAID 1 (2 disks) as originally planned,
and run the database on RAID 1+0 (4 disks)?

Or, should I run the whole thing (OS & Database) on one huge RAID 1+0?

Thanks,

Robert De Mars
http://b-o-b.homelinux.com

Robert De Mars