On Wednesday 28 May 2008 11:14:50 am Justin Krejci wrote:
> http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/srcsas18e/sb/axxrpcm2
>_ tps_10.pdf
>
> Benefits are identified in this PDF.
> Data caching (write-back cache can greatly improve write performance)
>
> Busy databases servers commonly need lots of I/O
>
> Also consider running RAID10 if you have drive availability (4 drive
> minimum) as you will get much higher I/O performance with that as well
> especially with writes. Though if you need the capacity, RAID5 will give
> you one drive more of capacity. RAID10 can also give you a smaller chance
> of data loss due to drive failures as you can potentially lose up to half
> of your drives and still operate whereas using RAID5 and losing 2+ drives =
> disaster.

Somewhere a DBA just rolled over in his grave at the mention of a database
using RAID 5.  If you're ever going to care about performance at all don't
use RAID 5.  It's particularly slow at the sorts of write I/O database
systems typically generate.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB