How does one get a Flat Panel Display to work on a Linux (Ubuntu) machine?

I purchased a beautiful HP 19-inch FPD only to find out when getting home
that there was no Linux driver on the accompanying CD.  Upon calling the
number in manual I was told HP doesn't provide support for Linux on
FPD's.  The Micro Center store personnel don't seem informed regarding
Linux support.  The 19 inch HP cost me $35 to return so I'm seeking better
info before next try.

Analog type is preferred;  can digital monitor output be obtained on Linux
machine?

Any info will be appreciated,
Steve