Oh I love apt-get

If you are using Ubuntu 8.04 you can just apt-get install rt
the package is,

request-tracker3.6 - Extensible trouble-ticket tracking system

We use rt at work also, and have been happy with it. We bought a box
with freeside (http://www.freeside.biz/freeside/) and rt intergrated on it.

BTW I found this via,
sudo apt-cache search rt | grep -i request

==>brian.