Thanks to all who made suggestions: I was finally able to get LILO to
work from the MBR after updating the BIOS. I should have tried that
first. To answer some of the questions that people had; yes Slackware
still relies on LILO ,but does not prevent using GRUB - the reason being
a desire to stick to the method with the longest track record - the
tried and true. The reason that I did not try copying the first 512
bytes of the Linux partition to the Windows NT partition and modifying
boot.ini is that method is described in the Slackware book as a
deprecated NT hack that should not be needed, as the current version of
LILO has no problem with Win 95,98,2K...  (That 'hack' worked quite
nicely after I updated the BIOS to the latest version - 1.22
(2001/10/12) )  That fdisk is limited to 4 primary partitions was only a
problem due to my ignorant assumption that Linux needed to live on
primary partitions. All of my problems were due to my antique BIOS not
being willing to look at anything beyond the 1023rd cylinder. Thanks to
all for their help and guidance.

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---