Another off topic question but I need a sanity check and the folks on this
list are generally well informed.  I've been going back and forth with
NetGear about their supposed PPTP support.  They claim support for PPTP but
do not support GRE; the result is that a control channel is established (I
can see this with a packet trace on both sides of the router) but then all
subsequent traffic is dropped (again verified by packet trace).  I've gotten
past the first tier support so I'm dealing with folks that have a little
knowledge now but they are still presenting some pretty wacky ideas.  I'll
admit that this subject matter isn't for the faint of heart but I've been
pointing them at RFCs that seem to pretty plainly state the need for GRE.