On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:53:24PM -0500, Chris Barber wrote:
[snip]
> The problem is eth1 for some reason is whack on both machines.  I can't
> ping my public gateway or the other server over its public interface.
[snip]
> Does Ubuntu/Debian identify one of the cards as the "primary"
> somewhere?  How/where does it tie a particular NIC to ethX?  Does
> anybody have any suggestions that I could try?
>
> I appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Chris,

Try disabling the 'magic' services: 'NetworkManager', 'avahi'.  Maybe
even 'hal' and 'dbus'.  Ubuntu is trying to be overly protective of
newbies with desktops - and it works, if you have one NIC with a
dynamic IP address.  When you go out of the norm, it's better to take
the matter into your own hands.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163