It's an external hard drive, ext3 formatted.

The file was originally saved by myself on another ext3 drive, copied to an
NTFS (? assumed, not sure) drive and then over to this current ext3
formatted drive by a friend of mine.

Worst case scenario is that the files are truly corrupt...hopefully that's
not the case, but that's a possibility I can't dismiss completely either.