On Wednesday 19 March 2008 05:08:07 pm Deepan wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am using sendmail via php mail function to send
> emails. However few servers reject my mails with
> the error 'Sender address rejected: Domain not
> found', since mails from my server are sent as
> email at localhost.localdomain. How do I change this
> to a valid domain name ? We only own a public IP.
> we dont really have a domain name, is it possible
> to use IP ?
> Regards
> Deepan

In order to get around this spam check, I'd recommend relaying all of your
email through an upstream mailserver that has properly configured DNS.
Sendmail calls this a "smarthost" and cleverly hides it as D....so you'd have
Dsome.relay.com in your sendmail.cf

Your other option is to set up working forward DNS on the machine, set a FQDN
hostname, and make sure your reverse DNS matches.

If you try sand use a bare IP with no DNS people will drop your mail.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB