Quoting Sam Martin <s.earl.martin at gmail.com>:

> Based on googling '(vmware OR virtualbox OR xen) (osx OR leopard OR
> tiger OR "os x")', there are a number of legally ambiguous (read:
> illegal) ways of getting Mac OS on plain 'ol Intel hardware.  The gist
> is that you need:
>
> 1) A copy of Mac OS, patched to remove any pesky checks that only work
> on Apple hardware.  This is one of the more legally questionable
> parts, as you're ostensibly downloading said copy of Mac OS from a
> torrent site (thus sharing your ill-gotten gains with others), and
> because monkeying around with the OS code itself (i.e., "patching") is
> a giant legal no-no, at least according to Apple's EULA (well, I
> assume so... has anyone, in recorded history, ever read a license
> agreement?).  It doesn't look like a stock OS X install disk will
> work.
>
> -- and --
>
> 2) Pretty recent Intel hardware.  Your CPU needs to support, IIRC,
> SSE2, SSE3, and probably a bunch of other fun initialisms.   So you
> probably need at least a Core2Duo, or something along those lines.
>
> On the other hand, if you have a spare Panther license, and some
> patience (and, again, the will to brave legally murky waters), pearpc
> would be an option.  I believe pearpc will work with a stock install
> disk.  It's not the latest-and-greatest Mac OS, but if your goal is
> tinkering with an Apple UI, it'd be a good start.  Of course, you
> could always just buy a Mac...
>
> As for virtualization in general, I've had good luck with VirtualBox
> when I've been stuck with a Windoze-only app for whatever reason.
> Performance-wise, I don't think you'll see much difference between any
> of the major virtualization apps.  The main differences would probably
> lie in the ease of allowing the guest OS to see your external devices
> (e.g., the iPod+iTunes -- hey, Apple again! -- combo can be tricky).
> Google would be your best bet in those cases...
>
> Good luck,
>
> sm

Thank you.

I've been playing around with Virtualbox but not extensively. My first
attempt at this was running AsteriskNOW but unable to get it
networked. I will not be using MAC OS X, instead I will try to find an
alternative - I think it runs on a version of FreeBSD 5.0 if I
remember correctly?

I did receive a few other recommendations, one of them from an old
friend who swears by XEN and Erik recommended UML I've been emerging
world for a few hours and should be done soon, then I can give XEN and
UML a run.

thanks for the replies.