I'd just say go with what you know and just remove all extra packages that
you don't need.  Or if you don't know much than a specific distro like
freenas as mentioned before is great as it is designed just for that.

But another question was broght up:

"Are you sharing with Windows?  Linux?  Old world UNIX?  Commodore 64?"

That made me think what would be the best way to hook up all my Commodore
64s?  And could I build some sort of super powerful cluster out of them with
enough computing power to take on the newest cell phones on the market.

--j