thats good info.  any modern linux distribution version will have
everything you need.  samba will be the easy way to share files with
windows.  with your other linux and mac you can do samba, nfs or even
ssh based file shares.  if you want to jump into bsd and learn that,
this would be a good time to do so.  it sounds like you are looking to
gain experience - if so ... what are you looking to gain this for?  just
for more knowledge or a job?  if you are looking to gain a certain type
of experience - say Red Hat linux experience, then i would suggest going
with an RPM based linux distribution - Red Hat, Fedora, or CentOS.  if
you are just looking to play and learn, any current version will have
all that you need, as well as any of the bsd flavors.