On Tuesday 11 March 2008 08:55:19 am Eric F Crist wrote:
>  From what I've been able to tell, FreeNAS is just FreeBSD with a
> bunch of file-server specific ports pre-installed.  As such, it's not
> doing anything funky with the hard drives - plain old UFS2.
>
> Eric

I also might note that in over 12 years of FreeBSD I've found it to be
incredibly critical of the integrity of hardware, especially disks.  FreeBSD
panics at the first hint of a disk subsystem it can't write to....and it
complains up and down the world if there are read problems.  I would suspect
the OP's tools for clearing the drives were complaining about BSD style
disklabels or somesuch more than they were complaining about hardware
problems in the disks themselves.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB