Good Day:

I hope my answer is not a bit OT but my recomendation for an OS is
FreeBSD. I have not used NFS but in the default installation (freeBSD)
it will ask you if you want to make it a NFS server. That and a couple
of other configuration changes and you will be set to go. I do know of
a couple of people running NFS on freeBSD they made it seem simple
enough.

David

Quoting krishanson at acm.cs.umn.edu: