On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 05:14:56PM -0600, Jeremy Rosengren wrote:
>> When I am browsing from Windows using Firefox 2.0, the speed of page
>> rendering is the same, regardless of which of the two proxies I use.
>> When I am browsing from Ubuntu, the proxy on the newer, faster server
>> seems much more sluggish, and it is getting to be annoyingly slow.
>> Both servers machines are pretty much idle.  Squid is configured with
>> 384 MB of memory cache and 3 GB of disk cache on a reiserfs partition.
>>
> What are you using as the cache storage format?  The default storage format
> on Fedora systems is diskd, and that's always been unbearably slow for me -
> have you tried aufs?

   cache_dir ufs /var/spool/proxy 3200 256 256

However, I don't think this is a disk io problem.  The same delay
occurs under Linux even if I go to fresh or dynamically generated
pages.  But I'll switch to aufs to try it out anyway.

Thanks,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163