site to reboot them for a few months) the fans spin up to full speed
when the server is powered on and then they slow down during POST or
OS boot. If you don't get a noticeable decrease in fan speed during
boot something isn't right.

Fan speed should be an automatic thing that is controlled by temp
sensors on the mb or in the case that. I haven't run anything but
Windows Server 2003 on the HP servers we have at work so I can't be
sure that fan speed isn't OS controlled.

Flashing to the latest bios and installing the most recent updates
from HP shouldn't hurt.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com