Eric F Crist wrote:
> On May 30, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Robert De Mars wrote:
>
>> Chris Barber writes:
>>
>>> Nope, use all 6 disks in the RAID 1+0.  That way you get more
>>> throughput.  I like things easy, so I would just create a root partition
>>> that eats up almost all of the space, then a second small (2GB) swap
>>> area.  That way you don't have to worry about running out of disk space
>>> if you make a particular partition too small.
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>>

>> Forgive me for asking so many questions, but I am still a virgin to RAID,
>> and this is going to be my first RAID setup.
>>
>> OK, My new server is going to have 6 drives.  I am going to go with
>> RAID10.
>>
>> For the first part (raid 1), do I want to make two or three sets.
>> For Example, do I want to make drive 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 RAID 1, or can I do
>> 1+2+3
>> & 4+5+6 as RAID 1.  What do you think is best.
>>
>> Then for the second part (raid 0), I guess that depends on how the raid 1
>> was setup.
>>
>> Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
>

> I'd do whatever makes it easiest to service from the front of the
> system.  It's a pain if you've got one array that jumps around
> *physically* on the front of the box.  In other words, if the drive
> setup is two rows of three drives, I'd do one stripe on all three drives
> across the top and the second stripe across all three drives along the
> bottom.  Odds are, this is going to be 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 as your stripes.
> If, however, you've got a box where all the drives stand on their edge
> in one single row, I'd recommend 1,2,3 as one stripe and 4,5,6 as the
> second.
>
> Does this answer your question?

I finally received all the parts for the new server this past thursday.
  I assembled the box on Friday, and did the install Friday afternoon.
All went well.  I ended up using RAID 10 as most suggested.  The Intel
RAID Controller only let me use two disk per set for the RAID 1 part, so
I have 3 sets.  This setup seems pretty tough.  Slackware 12.1 installed
smoothly.  I plan on retoring the database this weekend, and doing a
little testing before I throw it into production.  So far I am impressed
with it all.

Thanks again to all who responded a while back to my distress call on
this matter.

Thanks,

Bob De Mars