Does the sound sound like a fan? I'm not familiar with servers all that much but the older Dell I do have has a power regulation module, and I believe these are just switch mode power supplies acting as DC to DC converters, the high frequency transformers in switch mode power supplies can make a noise similar to a fan...just a shot in the dark, but if there are no other moving parts, a buzzing transformer is pretty much all that's left to make a noise. My 2 cents.

=Jesse=