Nice idea. What dumpster?

I have a Toshiba satellite 4060 in the living room as a jukebox. It has a
functional screen, but the screen is only used to display song info, album
art and the like. I have the same configuration on a headless server, that
works just as well.

mpd is the answer. First, because it does not require a display. Second,
because it's very easy to control and communicate with.

You could easily get mpd running and configured through a network, then have
it start automatically. Once you're at that point, you can control it with a
keypad, or IR. Should be easy enough to get LCD output of song info as well.

The mpd feature set is nice and full, by the way. It will catalog your music
directory and you can script playlists with searches, etc. endless
possibilities.

Drop me a note if you have any question on configuration. It's all fresh in
my mind at the moment.

-Ben